Dave's Cars

TR6 Windscreen Project

home


 click to enlarge UPDATE : 2/10/07 - Click Here!!

The goal was to create an aesthetically pleasing, functional, and easily removable/storable wind screen. It had to come on and off easily, and break down into two pieces so I could store it easily. I was searching for a good attachment methodology when a friend suggested that I use the hard top brackets. I ordered a set of those and then chose to use copper tubing for the project because I had used pvc on a windscreen for another car, and didn’t find it to be the best answer, plus I had a eight foot piece of ˝” pipe in the garage and that seemed like a good idea. As it turned out, this was a good choice because it is just a little larger inside diameter from the hard top brackets. In addition, this copper tubing is available in angle and T pieces that already have the solder in them. Once you get the layout correct, all you have to do is heat them up and they seal nicely, soldered together.
As it so often happens, I had a 50/50 chance of picking the right bolt to attach the hard top brackets, and misguessed. If you put them on the forward (and easier to get to) bolt, the convertible top (boot) does not fully come back up. Try again!
Next challenge was to cut the tubing to get the right location for the rear and create enough of a windscreen to accomplish the task! I had purchased 11x14 plexiglass sheets because they seemed about the right size and a good price (about $5.00 for the pair). The piping has to rise about 4” to clear the convertible top in its folded position, then angle rearward. At first I looked at angling to the rear at 45 degrees, but decided that created insufficient length for the windscreen.
Of course, the closest Home Depot was out of the right angle pieces, so I had to go foraging! Ended up buying a “contractor pack” of 25. Well, should save me from any more trips.
Back to the car, put the hard top bracket on the other bolt. Top doesn’t close with this one either. Guess what: I’ve hit a wall. Apparently the hard top bracket has to be removed to put the top up. This just ain’t gonna work.
Give it a day or two to chew on it, and came up with an alternate: crush the end of a copper tube, drill a hole in it, and bolt it in. this should not interfere with the top, as the problem with the hard top brackets was that they stuck out too much. Thought about just drilling a hole and then closing it down, but I was afraid I’d strip the nut in the car. That would be serious!
So I stuck the copper tube in the vise, clamped it down, add a little more pressure, then drilled the hole. One half inch drill bit should work. Then I’ll bolt it in and see how it works.
Top up, top down, top up, top down. Kewl. I’m there! Back to fabricating the windscreen!
It has to be this high to clear the top. the next pieces will angle back to the rear.
The first piece is set on to see how its working.
Now I have it all the way across. This seems to be working! On to the verticals.
construction just about complete!
Here it is framed out. No solder yet. My wife really likes the copper look, although I think I'm going to just paint it flat black, or maybe the same color as the car. We'll see. Next step is to start sweating the joints, so to speak. But I think this will work. It will be set up so that it comes apart in the middle to make it easy to just stuff behind the seats. This is too long to fit in the car.
2/9/07 UPDATE
 Drop me a line!  
our sponsor We do Web sites!
home